Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Hippocratic Oath for teaching Torah

This morning I read this:



Prof. Nechama Leibowitz z"l once asked a group of senior Jewish educators in her living room/ study space in her home (of course, in Hebrew!): "What is the goal of teaching Tanach?"
As she called on one principal/ head of Jewish studies after another, she rejected each of their proposals: 
"To learn the mitzvot," "LO!"  
"To learn Jewish history," "LO!" 
"To learn ethical behavior," "LO!"
"To learn about our forefathers," "LO!"

Exasperated, she finally said: "The goal of teaching Tanach is that the child will not hate the Tanach."
In other words, "First, do no harm!"


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think if I just have that in mind as I go in to teach, it makes a big difference in how I react to things and the choices I make.

      Delete