Tuesday, October 20, 2015

I hate science experiments and art projects

It took me many years of homeschooling to admit that.  I used to read books with science experiments, thinking maybe I would do them.  I felt bad that I didn't do them, but I didn't do them.  I used to do art projects.  I didn't really enjoy them.  I finally let go and accepted that those are not my strengths.

However, I often get requests.  There are a lot of things that are not my strengths but the kids ask to do them and so I take a deep breath and give it a shot.  I'm not a huge baker but I have made more cookies and cakes than I would have dreamed.  Once we made a cake based on ingredients Elazar learned about on minecraft (flour, eggs, sugar, milk, oil).  It wasn't bad.

Jack got a lulav and esrog for Succos.  He went to shul with them and did hakafos and naanuim.

He asked me if we could make esrog jelly after Succos.  And I said sure.*

I did a google search ("easy esrog jelly") and read a few recipes.  Who knew it takes three days to make it (and it took me 6 days because the weekend happened in the middle).  We put the esrogim through the food processor and covered in water, let it sit, simmered, drained, replaced water, etc. for 2 days.  Then tonight we boiled it with sugar.  Eventually I added some pectin.  I read that if you accidentally overcook it, you end up with more of a candy than a jelly.  Hey, esrog candy! That sounds fun!  Unfortunately I wasn't able to do that and it appears we have jelly.



I'm not sure what exactly to do with esrog jelly.  I didn't bother jarring it because what are we going to do with it?  But it has a nice jelly consistency.  

I don't think I would ever, ever, ever have made esrog jelly if I weren't homeschooling.

_____________
*After he asked three times.  I like to make sure they are serious and really want it before I commit to such an undertaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment