Monday, August 31, 2015

It ain't all sunshine and roses

Some days I just roll my eyes that I ever had the smugness to write some of my blog posts.  Not that I don't agree with what I wrote, but for example, yesterday. My 8yo woke up and the 4yo and he were arguing about who sits next to me on the couch.  They bickered back and forth about where each one's body parts were or were not allowed to be.  I finally moved 8yo and had him sit on my lap.  He struggled out of it and went right back to bothering 4yo, who was kicking and pushing and yelling.

I extricated myself, saying that if they were arguing I didn't really want to be in the middle of all that, and I went back to my room and curled up in bed with a book.  5 minutes later, 8yo came down, incensed that 4yo...I can't even remember now.  Elbowed him?  Sat on his head?  Banged his head into his elbow?  He was angry at me for not forcing 4yo to sit elsewhere.

"But I moved you and you moved back," I said reasonably.  "If you are 8 and you didn't want to move, why would he, who is 4, want to move?"

He looked at me with disgust, repeated that I didn't make 4yo move and now he is hurt, and he left, slamming the door (presumably to exact his own brand of justice).  I was surprised, since 8yo has a sunny disposition and I wouldn't have considered him a door slammer.  Gave me a glimpse into teenage years, possibly.  On the up side, I curled back into bed and read for another half hour before 5yo came wandering in for morning snuggle.

And on a happy note, 4yo asked me to play banangrams with him and he seems to know just about every capital letter in the alphabet  #unschooling
I was commenting with surprise that he knows his letters and he asked if he can go to the local candy store.  I said that's for learning aleph beis.

No comments:

Post a Comment