Sunday, January 25, 2015

algebra: teaching to the test

I'm happy to report that Chana is no longer completely not comprehending the questions.  The first test was emotionally upsetting, because she felt she didn't know the math (a lot of it had Common Core subjects that are not algebra) or because she didn't understand what the questions are asking.  We are now in the middle of the second test and there is a clear improvement in her comprehension of the questions and in her mental state.  (We're still getting a few of them wrong here and there, because I simply don't know the answers, which is one of the things I dislike about homeschooling--I'm teaching algebra and I'm a somewhat incompetent math teacher.  This is not a reason not to homeschool--it's fairly easy to outsource a tutor or a math program or a curriculum that will tell me exactly how to teach.  I just didn't because I'm fairly proficient at algebra.  But we're paying the price here.)  My plan is (as per the suggestion of a fellow homeschooler) to purchase the Barron's review book because they actually explain how they get to the answers, and I'm feeling like we need that.  But it's nice to see some clear progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment